Skip to main content

Notes from a Better Self Pt. 1

Recently I have been on my journey of discovery and paying more attention to me, my thoughts, my actions, my likes, my strengths, areas of improvement etc.

Initially after "the breakup" I noted to self that my fear of rejection led me to make some foolish decisions and in turn I became someone I did not recognize. I had always known that I suffered slightly from some sort of fear of rejection and/or abandonment- which is why it took me forever to become close with anyone intimately where they knew my good and bad. I feared that they would not like "That ME" or that they would eventually leave me. These fears of rejection and abandonment stemmed from childhood experiences where I felt like I never quite made it into fitting in... I was always too something. Too tall, too dark, too skinny, too fat, too smart, too nice---- tooo tooo tooo I never was just  right for anything.

5 years old going to gymnastics class- which I thoroughly enjoyed and had begun to excel in it. I recall my teacher coming to my mother after class and telling her- "Nikki is wonderful and doing very well, she is exceeding her peers- but I did not want to get your hopes up too high because we can already see that she would be TOO TALL to compete-she is already the height of our 8-10 year old division competitors so if you want her to continue- great! We just wanted to let you know so that if you were thinking of competition you would know already.

10 years old- my older cousin taunts at me that my butt is too big and that I have dinosaur legs

13 years old my maternal grandmother dies and I pray fervently that God raise her back to life... I know he can- I mean did he not raise Lazarus from the dead and did Christ not have power of the grave? He does not and I then see that eventually everyone will leave whether they choose to walk away or God decides their time is up... I feel abandoned.

14 years old- first real breakup and why- "I was too nice" I truly did not understand why, what went wrong... then I realized that everyone else was ghetto, mean, popping off all the time, drama all the time and that was fun... me the regular girlfriend who was not putting out I was too nice translation BORING

16 attend a job fair for inner city teens (Oak Cliff that's my hood) we attend a workshop, take a test and then go in for the "interview" and this is what I am told. "Impressive Ms. Campbell- you scored exceptionally well on the exam- however we cannot give you a job because you do not meet the necessary requirements." HUH? I passed though right. That is the issue- to get the job you have to be an inner city student, struggling in school and/or pregnant. So basically you are TOO SMART to get the job. How backwards is that? But the failing- pregnant chick can work... hmmm ok so we reward bad behavior now?

Let's talk about the fact that my mother was never on time to pick me up... NEVER... and that I stay arriving late for everything now.. (Learned behavior) or that my wonderful Father the great provider that he is could never come to games or performances because guess what... He was working to provide...


So now, do you understand why I grew up to expect and wait for people to leave my life, disappoint me eventually, be indifferent if they decided to not show up, never get too excited for anything or anyone, I got tired of crying and being mad so now I am late for everything and not too mention I became chameleon like... whatever I thought he liked I could be. I assumed that if I was anything besides myself- maybe just maybe I would finally be just enough.

I mean as I got older some stuff I accepted... like I loved and am in more love with my skin color I am perfectly "milk chocolate" with orange undertones "snap snap" I cannot wear Ruby Woo red lipstick and I am fine with that... But I kill that Diva Burgundy any day... I SLAY (dance break) #blackgirlmagic

 I accepted that at 5'8 I am taller than the avg chick that just means I can see more than ya'll, I stand out in a crowd *literally* and whoever I marry will just need to be at least 6'2 so I can wear my heels.

 I accepted my dinosaur legs! They are one of my best assets while my cousin  has scrawny chicken legs lol...I tell her this too (payback) Bet she wishes she had dinosaur legs now...(insert evil laugh)

So I mean I was not a total mess when I got into the relationship- I was slightly knowledgeable of self and I knew I could offer a lot- I just had no clue of when to offer it and wound up losing the bet on love.

We dealt with the fear of rejection and I overcame that- it is what it is- either you love where I am and accept that growth will happen or NAH and keep it pushing. I am still working on being timely but at least I care now. And no you will show up to my events because I am important, I am somebody and love is an action word. You will not alter my ego through your vain words that are just a representation of the negativity that harbors inside of you. Your Bad for thinking that I could be used... I am free now and the only owner and tenant of this house is me.

Ya'll see those legs and that melanin tho.... just saying #blackgirlmagic #orangeundertones #getyousome



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Single But Ready: Greater is Coming

So I am up doing some grass roots research into pursuing some passions of mine... hair and fashion.  While texting a guy who is interested in me. And it hit me. I am ready to date again! Finally. Lordt I thought I was going to be stuck in that negative stage forever! By the way the title of this post is inspired by a podcast that I listened to- that helped get me through entitled: Single But READY.. check it out it is eye opening. So if you read some of my post from the August/September period you will note the harping of the breakup and my efforts to rebound date. Well I never wrote about my perspective of trying to rebound date. Let us just say it was horrible. I truly do not recommend trying to rebound date, while being celibate and on the tail ends of a heartbreak... Nothing good comes from Nazareth right? HA.. ok. Basically as I sat here thinking back to that time period I was sooo negative. Negative Nancy welcome to the party. These guys were showing genuine interest in me an

The importance of boundaries

As I sit here in DFW international airport reading "Don't Settle For Safe" by Sarah Jakes Roberts, I am compelled to write on the importance of setting boundaries. Boundaries keep us safe. Safety is a primary foundational component of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Basically, we need boundaries at our core in order to survive. Relationships are one of the hardest areas of our lives to create and maintain boundaries. Why is this? Our need for acceptance tugs at our inner being to disregard the natural boundaries that our conscience created for us. Whatever it may be- friends, significant others, parents or siblings we want to be accepted. But at what cost do we pursue acceptance? As I have grown and matured in all things called life, I realized that I had created boundaries that were too loose as well as disregarded others all together. I had to realign myself to think in terms of boundaries when approaching any situation. Here are a few of the questions I asked myse

Sharing: My Weekend

As promised- I wanted to share a few pictures with you all of the Valentine's Bash- hosted by yours truly this weekend for the children.. It was a success and we raised the funds needed to aid them in their next sponsored event. Here you go!!