Skip to main content

Welcome Back- Book Review

This year for myself, I added to my vision board reading 1 book a month by black authors. It has been off to a GREAT start so far.  I want to share my reviews of these books so that others can reap the benefits of my readings and I can simply share my opinions.

January- "Blackbirds" by Eric Jerome Dickey


So, I purchased this book 2 years ago for a friend who was in the hospital. She gave it back, it sat on my shelf for a year. 

Eric Jerome Dickey and I have a long standing relationship. I fell in love with his writings in 2005. Books I had no business reading as a teenager, but he talked about things I had no knowledge of such as sex, love and weird family dynamics. I can honestly say he taught me a lot. From "Milk in My Coffee" to "Cheaters" and even "Between Lovers" I could imagine or even see myself in his characters. I spent plenty of summer days curled up on the couch at Cedar Valley College reading his work. So reading this book was like exercising a memory muscle for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it and read it on my Honeymoon Cruise. 

He used characters from his previous writings but they are all grown up now! This book was about sisterhood, love,  forgiveness and independence. I love how he developed each character and I saw parts of my life in each. The child of the African diaspora whose identity was both African and American but neither at the same time. I have that friend, I call her my Naija Princess. The strong willed woman afraid to love because she had been violated by people she trusted. The family and justice system failed to protect her when she asked. We all know someone in that category. The divorcee, encouraging everyone else while her life is in shambles- oh yeah we know her too. The friend with the toxic ex she can't get over because everything was perfect, except he cheats..... been there done that. The overbearing mother who actually is a hypocrite but nothing you do is right by her or Jesus. The other mother whose only concern is when you are getting married and starting a family- get off my street Eric! OR wait, the divorced parents who basically force you to choose who you will love and live with- seen this all too often. 

Eric took me on a journey of self discovery, joy, pain, celebration, fun, love and lust. He traveled into the family dynamic of each of the characters and we get a glimpse into why they made and make some of the decisions they do. I love when I feel fully invested in the fictional lives of each of the characters it takes me to their world and sometimes I need that escape. 

This book gets 5 stars from me. Recommended read especially for young women of color. This book was right on time. Live, Love & Laugh

Be sure to follow me on IG @enchanted_rhoyalty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check out this review of LARK on the Park on Google Maps https://goo.gl/maps/6Rb5soDtvrr

When.....

When Someone Shows You Who They Are.. Believe Them The First Time- Maya Angelou I took this to heart today when reflecting over my life choices and why things turned out the way they did. It was brought to my attention by my younger, middle brother that I am all too quick to cut off people. WHEN they do one thing I am like NOPE, DONE. This is a trait that I know I have and I have always viewed it as both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I cut the bull at the beginning. A curse because some people deserve another chance. It is one of those gray areas in my life that I try so hard to color in or make clear. But the real reason why that quote resonated with me is becuase there was a time in my life, these past 4 years, that I tried to not be the person who cuts others off. I tried it and it failed. This quote is true and will forever be true especially when it comes to humans. Rarely do people change to suit others. Self is always more important than others. When others tr...

About Time! Queening Exponentially

I know that I am about 2 weeks late... but I am working full time and pursuing a Master's so be patient! Miss USA 2016  is exponentially several degrees above awesome. Let us take a moment to discuss what makes her awesome. 1. She is Black- unapologetic. Most definitely oozing #BlackGirlMagic the definition of #BlackExcellence and that melanin is definitely popping. I wonder what color she wears> definitely not any shade that Neutorgena offers (No Shade) but not everyone has cool, orange or yellow undertones.... some of US have prominent red undertones!!! I digress.... Handclap to the makeup artist and creators out there that cater to ALL SHADES of BLACK. 2. Member of the US Army- Patriot and passionate about it. Some of my people are not the most supportive of African Americans fighting for a country that chose to enslave and continues to mentally enslave us as a people. My goodness! Cut the girl some slack- she has chosen to sacrifice her life for others- which is t...