Skip to main content

Welcome Back- Book Review

This year for myself, I added to my vision board reading 1 book a month by black authors. It has been off to a GREAT start so far.  I want to share my reviews of these books so that others can reap the benefits of my readings and I can simply share my opinions.

January- "Blackbirds" by Eric Jerome Dickey


So, I purchased this book 2 years ago for a friend who was in the hospital. She gave it back, it sat on my shelf for a year. 

Eric Jerome Dickey and I have a long standing relationship. I fell in love with his writings in 2005. Books I had no business reading as a teenager, but he talked about things I had no knowledge of such as sex, love and weird family dynamics. I can honestly say he taught me a lot. From "Milk in My Coffee" to "Cheaters" and even "Between Lovers" I could imagine or even see myself in his characters. I spent plenty of summer days curled up on the couch at Cedar Valley College reading his work. So reading this book was like exercising a memory muscle for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it and read it on my Honeymoon Cruise. 

He used characters from his previous writings but they are all grown up now! This book was about sisterhood, love,  forgiveness and independence. I love how he developed each character and I saw parts of my life in each. The child of the African diaspora whose identity was both African and American but neither at the same time. I have that friend, I call her my Naija Princess. The strong willed woman afraid to love because she had been violated by people she trusted. The family and justice system failed to protect her when she asked. We all know someone in that category. The divorcee, encouraging everyone else while her life is in shambles- oh yeah we know her too. The friend with the toxic ex she can't get over because everything was perfect, except he cheats..... been there done that. The overbearing mother who actually is a hypocrite but nothing you do is right by her or Jesus. The other mother whose only concern is when you are getting married and starting a family- get off my street Eric! OR wait, the divorced parents who basically force you to choose who you will love and live with- seen this all too often. 

Eric took me on a journey of self discovery, joy, pain, celebration, fun, love and lust. He traveled into the family dynamic of each of the characters and we get a glimpse into why they made and make some of the decisions they do. I love when I feel fully invested in the fictional lives of each of the characters it takes me to their world and sometimes I need that escape. 

This book gets 5 stars from me. Recommended read especially for young women of color. This book was right on time. Live, Love & Laugh

Be sure to follow me on IG @enchanted_rhoyalty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Single But Ready: Greater is Coming

So I am up doing some grass roots research into pursuing some passions of mine... hair and fashion.  While texting a guy who is interested in me. And it hit me. I am ready to date again! Finally. Lordt I thought I was going to be stuck in that negative stage forever! By the way the title of this post is inspired by a podcast that I listened to- that helped get me through entitled: Single But READY.. check it out it is eye opening. So if you read some of my post from the August/September period you will note the harping of the breakup and my efforts to rebound date. Well I never wrote about my perspective of trying to rebound date. Let us just say it was horrible. I truly do not recommend trying to rebound date, while being celibate and on the tail ends of a heartbreak... Nothing good comes from Nazareth right? HA.. ok. Basically as I sat here thinking back to that time period I was sooo negative. Negative Nancy welcome to the party. These guys were showing genuine interest in me an

The importance of boundaries

As I sit here in DFW international airport reading "Don't Settle For Safe" by Sarah Jakes Roberts, I am compelled to write on the importance of setting boundaries. Boundaries keep us safe. Safety is a primary foundational component of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Basically, we need boundaries at our core in order to survive. Relationships are one of the hardest areas of our lives to create and maintain boundaries. Why is this? Our need for acceptance tugs at our inner being to disregard the natural boundaries that our conscience created for us. Whatever it may be- friends, significant others, parents or siblings we want to be accepted. But at what cost do we pursue acceptance? As I have grown and matured in all things called life, I realized that I had created boundaries that were too loose as well as disregarded others all together. I had to realign myself to think in terms of boundaries when approaching any situation. Here are a few of the questions I asked myse